10 October 2007

A Day of Many Blessings


A Day of Many Blessings
There wasn't any secret about how excited I was about the World Vision Experience Village at the Puyallup Fair. My church will be hosting the traveling exhibit next spring, and a couple of years ago the impact of going through the original exhibit deeply moved me (I have been to Africa twice since experiencing the original exhibit). Bringing such an experience to one of the nation's largest fairs really got my attention. I knew doing this was not without risk. But God was clearly in this project. I couldn't wait to get there!

I arrived a couple of hours before my shift was scheduled - mainly because I wanted to see the village - but also in order to have time to take in the fair. When I walked up to the main entrance of the village, the first person I saw was a great friend from law school. Somehow we had lost touch for about ten years. Mike was greeting people at the entrance to the exhibit. He greeted me warmly, and we both began to welcome people to the exhibit. The time passed very quickly. Mike was perfect for the role of greeter. An attorney, he also works as a motivational speaker about safety. You see, Mike is a hero among us. As a state trooper before becoming a lawyer, he was run off the road during a high speed pursuit. His miraculous recovery from third degree burns over virtually his entire body is in the annals of medical history. Mike just feels that every day he walks in grace as a gift from our gracious and loving God.

An attitude like Mike's is "catching" - soon I was reaching out to people from clear across the midway, just as he was. Hundreds of people were pouring in to see the exhibit and experience Africa in the way offered to them. Oh, and did I mention, the rain was pouring too! Mike explained to me that a small percentage of the people would leave the exhibit - they wanted to be there - but it was too emotional an experience on that particular day. That's okay, he assured me - they tried and their heart is in the right place. They will come to this when God has prepared them to act and respond.

I thouroughly enjoyed my shift as a greeter at the Village. Being there with Mike made it extra-extra special - he "trained" me as a greeter in the lightning-fast couple of hours prior to my shift. He poured out love and warmth to the crowds on a wet day. And just by spending time with him, showed me (again) what it means to walk in grace as a follower of Christ. See you at the fair!

Blessings and all the best to you!

Scott

5 comments:

Ron said...

Scott,

Welcome back. Please post more often to keep us informed.

Anonymous said...

Men in ugg boots ? There is no better way for your guy to express his masculinity than in these stylish ugg boots uk sale . For men, these are available in tans, blacks, chestnuts and are designed for style and comfort.

jordan shoes said...

I don't really Classic Tall Ugg Boots like my flow,so,Tell me what you want Ultra Tall Ugg Boots from here,Something that were like those Bailey Button Ugg Boots years,Sick of all the insincere,So,Classic Tall Ugg Boots I'm gonna give all my secrets away,This Ultra Tall Ugg Boots time, don't need another perfect line ,Don't care if critics never ugg sale jump in line.

uggs said...

Hi, nice post. I ugg boots have been thinking about this topic,so ugg boots sale thanks for writing. I will definitely be coming back to your site. Keep uggs boots on sale up great writing

Anonymous said...

I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this pandora uk
Mulberry outlet! Write more informative news like this, and let's Stop Dreaming Start Action!!